How are diamonds formed?
Diamonds are the only gem formed from a single element: Carbon (99.95%), the other 0.05% can include one or more trace elements. Diamonds are formed under high temperature and pressure conditions that only exist deep beneath earth’s surface, and this is what makes diamonds so special.
Although graphite is also primarily formed from carbon, a diamonds magic combination of composition, structure, and formation conditions are what make them so extraordinary, giving them there extremely hard characteristics. Scientists estimate that diamond formation occurs at a temperature ranges of 1652 ° F to 2372 ° F (900 °C to 1300 °C) and pressure between 45-60 Kilo-bars (Conditions which are found between 90-120 miles below the earth’s surface). At this point diamonds are transported to the earth’s surface from two types of rocks known as Kimberlites and Lamproites, which can take millions of years to rise to earth’s surface which justifies its extreme rarity and value in society today.